I haven't ever blogged before and must admit have been extremely reticent in the past, but there have been times where I felt I wish I could share PARTICULAR moments with someone... for example meeting a rather unusual bunch of characters in the Notting Hill McDonald's last week! I had been to see the film
" Two Nights And One Day," a very good French social drama, about a woman (whose name escapes me so I shall call her Flori) whose co-workers after being told they would forfeit their bonus if she is kept on at the factory, have decided their bonus is worth more to them than her, she Flori is livid (AS you would be!) and asks her boss to arrange another secret ballot he reluctantly agrees and gives her the weekend to verbally fight for her worth as an individual in order to overturn the decision!
After the film I wandered over to McDonald's to feed my latte habit and after a little while a deaf drunk guy Kevin, came over and pointed his finger at me smiled and said very loudly don't do that (he obviously realised the sitting in mcdonalds is not a great end to the evening) he thinks it's hilarious, but everyone else winces.
I turned to the couple next to me which comprised of a woman who I suspect is much older than her partner I find out soon enough her name is Camilla, and she is Mexican.She tells me she os teaching the younger guy Gorge who is sitting opposite her Spanish, he is a Russian translator & also being taught English by another older woman Julie, who is sitting on another table nearby- she (Julia) has wet serviettes on her hand as it's swollen and painful. Apparently She had been passed around from doctor to clinic to hospital and still waiting to be seen! The pain is so bad she can't even put her arm through the arm hole on her coat so she's wearing a duvet...no not really! When Gorge calms Kevin down with a combination of semi sign language and soothing shushing... Kevin disappears for a while. ..
Things progress smoothly we chat and at 11pm the McDonald's manager came over to get us out. I walked outside with Julie, she told me she's going on a bus ride with her friend Hubert, he's just gone home to get his cat...we chat for a little while till Hubert appeared with Furry a cute little black cat,who perches between Julie and him.. Hubert told me Furry is allowed in Caffee Nero as long as he didn't sit on the table.. The last I saw of the trio was trotting off to get their 31 bus ...
Just your average night at Notting Hill McDonald's, a far cry from Camden Town McDonald's,
where at the weekends a security guard stands by the tills trying not to look bored,
making sure drug addicts don't drop syringes in the disabled loo,or swear loudly at each other. .or so I was told yet I have yet to witness any fracas ...there are drunk yuppies with bottles of red wine cheering or singing, gaggles of giggling girls, serious pensioners discussing lottery results ...

No comments:
Post a Comment